Tuesday, April 24, 2007

And In This Corner...

I was supposed to go to Seguin today to testify in a revocation hearing on someone that I had supervised in Wilson County. This person committed three different offenses in three difference counties. This person had three different probation officers watching everything they did. Bottomline, there were three different opportunities to do good. But in this case, this person squandered three different opportunities to get it right and afetr 10 years, messed up. This person is now looking at a substancial amount of time in our state's penitentiary system.

I also had to be in Cuero last week to do the same thing there for another person. Again, another opportunity squandered. This person decided to take a plea that had previously been offered after three police officrs, a deputy sheriff, a federal marshal, two probation officers and two assiatant district attorney's lined up in the courtroom ready to do their jobs. Talk about the deck being stacked against you. Problem was, he was the dealer and dealt the hand against himself!

I have often remarked to Amy how much I dislike court when I see how poorly people treat each other. I particularly see this on the civil side of the docket when couples are going through a divorce. Now, there are a lot of those cases that are handled relatively amicably but, in general, that is not the case. I really appreciate my wife and our relationship when I have spent the day listening to couples fighting over "things" and worst of all, when they use their children as weapons in a fight between themselves.

The bottom line is that as much as I enjoy my job, there are aspects of it that I really dislike. I am just reminded, though, that there is a better way to be and to act towards one another.

Thanks be to God for giving us His Son and showing us a better and higher way to live! I always try to treat those people whom I supervise with respect but that does not always translate into a better person until they take some of the lessons they are taught and apply them to their lives. This is a lesson that I must daily be reminded of...I must not allow myself to live in the same pen as the pig or I will become a pig.

Some random thoughts. What are yours. Share with me.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Well stated!
That pig sty does not look to appealing to me.

Cryssy said...

I agree with you whole heartedly. I see this from a different angle. Both of Tony's brothers are in the system. I don't know where or any of the details. All I know is that they have had multiple chances to renew their lives. To start fresh. To have that second chance....again....and again. You can't blame genetics...Tony isn't like that. You can't blame the way they were raised...Tony was raised with them. You can't blame race...Tony is their full brother. The ONLY difference is that Tony accepted Christ. Tony clings to Christ. Christ made the difference. Christ saved my husband from a life like theirs. I thank GOD!!!