Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Favorite Place on earth

I want to tell you about my favorite place on earth. It is a small block of land in Pleasanton, Texas on Main Street. Some of my favorite people meet there on a regular basis to live and learn about the God who created us and loves us, literally, to death. It is the place where the people of God meet on a regualr basis. It is the hub from which the spokes extend that cause the wheel to spin in the lives of people who earnestly seek God and who want to learn about and fulfill His will.

I have been to several foreign countries, as well as several states in the United States. As much as I love this world that God has created and the beauty that sustains it, I cannot think of any place that I would rather be than in the presence of His people and the place in which they gather to dwell. Yes, I know the buildings and land upon which they are built are just temporary things and I know that there is nothing special, devine, holy or sacred about the brick and mortar but what goes on within the confines of that property is amazing. People with different backgrounds, different attitudes, different social-economic situations and different education levels come together to work and worship God. All our differences are put aside for the betterment of the whole. That which binds us together is more important than that which makes us different. We gather to quietly worship God and to petition Him for love, mercy and grace, and to learn how to extend these same virtues to others. We always seek the betterment of the other person. Our drive...our aim is to present God and His Son to a lost and dying world. Our goal is the salvation of our souls and of those around us.

Even with our feebles and foibles, with our sometimes petty bickerings this is still the best place on earth. I always cannot wait to get home if I am away to meet again with those who meet there. Just to catch up and see what was missed. There is always something going on in peoples lives that is interesting, something to pray for or about.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours? Share with me.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Thanks for the reminder.

The Johnsons said...

My favorite place on earth is still Blue Haven. Hands down. I keep telling Gregg we need to do what you and Mom have done - just rent a cabin up there, go hiking, listen to the river, go to Opening Campfire. I think a lot of my memories go back to what you were saying though - God's people learning to love him and each other - but in the beautiful mountians!

I'm so happy just thinking about it!