Monday, April 23, 2007

Groovin' in The Grass!

Several of my acquaintances have been talking and blogging about working in their yards so I thought I'd offer a perspective on it.

I remember the first time I was allowed to mow the yard by myself. Man...how proud I was that Dad trusted me enough to run a machine by myself. I still had to have help putting gasoline in the mower and checking the oil, and I still got tips on how to mow and maintain the mower, but it was great. We had a rear discharge mower that usually left more grass on your legs and shoes than on the lawn. The mower was taller than I was so there was more pushing up on the handle than forward but as I grew that issue took care of itself. I learned to mow the grass when we still had to rake the yard and trimming was done with a hand trimmer. Loved the mowing, didn't mind the raking but hated the trimming. Dad eventually got a powered edger but we weren't allowed to use it unless he was home.

So, now I do my own yard. Since Amy and I bought our first mobile home in 1977, I think I can count on one hand the number of times someone else has mowed the yard for me. Well, maybe two hands. I will have to admit that mowing does not carry the excitement that it once did. My favorite part of the job is when I have finished mowing the yard and it has been trimmed and the grass has been blown off the driveway and sidewalks. To stand and look at the yard, to appreciate the neatness of the yard . . . the satisfaction of a job well done. And to just wish it would stay that way for a while longer. I once had a friend who says that man is the only animal who raises a crop he will not eat.

I spent this past Saturday in the yard trimming the lantana, the bushes along the back fence and the wisteria, "dead heading" the rose bushes and, of course, mowing the grass. It smells so good to be walking in the yard while grass is mowed. It gives me lots of time to think and mull over things going on in my life. I have found out that there's a lot more going on at the business end of a lawn mower than just walking and pushing. It's great exercise, both for the body and for the mind.

3 comments:

Dana said...

I think I was one of those one times you let someone else mow. That was all it was - one time. I can still see the tall strands of missed grass standing up now...

Darla said...

I remember my grandparents had the old fashioned push mower not power but just the old push kind with the blades exposed so you could watch the blades cutting the grass.

I was just a child when I talked my grandmother into letting me cut the grass. I did a few rounds and got stung by a yellow jacket. After that I lost interest, my sister mowed a little while then she lost interest and Granddaddy finished that evening when he came home.

Looking back I know how much these people loved us because I do not remember any fussing over it and I am sure my grandfather did not feel like mowing after a full day at work.

My grandparents yard was one of the most mesmerizing yards and I have tons of memories of playing in it.

Cryssy said...

I'm not a big fan of the mowing part but only because I don't like the motor smell. It clings. It doesn't go away until the end of a good scrubbing shower. As soon as I'm able, I'm going to go buy one of those "old push kind" Darla was talking about. They have them at Lowes and Home Depot. Then, I can sing and mow at the same time....without choking on fumes. Of course then everyone will hear me.......