Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Driving Miss Daisy, or Me Crazy

As you may know, in my opinion, one of the lowest common denominators in our society are those people who don't know how to drive or behave while they are behind the wheel of a moving automobile.

People talking on cell phones, eating lunch, putting on make-up, feeding kids, reading the newspaper (yikes!!) or maps...they just don't get it. I will admit that I am not perfect and have made my share of mistakes while driving, but I hope I have learned to not repeat my mistakes. However, the other day I was reminded of how completely obstinate people can be.

I was at the Wilson County Sheriff's Office for court and was returning to the office which is about two miles away. There is a crossover at the main entrance to the sheriff's office and you have to cross over a four lane divided highway. There is a yield sign when you get ready to turn left into the southbound traffic. Across from here is a Valero station. I was concentrating on the cross traffic and did not see a light blue Chrysler minivan preparing to go across the traffic flow to go through the crossover. I pulled out and luckily saw that vehicle at the last moment. I stopped, looked at the driver and waived my hands in surrender and mouthed an apology, "I'm sorry". The other driver's reaction...give a dirty look, mouth something and issue the "one fingered salute". I can only assume that he was actually telling me what his I.Q. is. Obviously he was demonstrating it. The really sad part...he had a small child in the front seat with him in a car seat. What a great demonstartion of how to be an adult.

2 comments:

Cryssy said...

Sad ain't it! I'm always defensive when driving and just wait for the other person to show their colors before commiting to anything. I'm the pokey one everyone thinks is Grandma but me and my family are safe.

Jackie said...

This will be the parent you will see sitting behind their child (the one who saw and learned) in a court room wondering where in the world they went wrong.


Did they have a 'Spur' logo thing on their back window? If you, you have to give them a 'bye'. It's scriptural.