Thursday, November 02, 2006

Autumn

Autumn...My favorite season.

After months of hot, sweaty, humid, dank, sizzling, broiling, fiery heat it is so nice for the change. Even if it lasts for only a few months and if we live in an area of the country that peole say "we have no seasons", it is still a pleasant change. The cool(er) mornings and those with a breeze are the best. It is so nice to see and feel the change. It also reminds me that God is in charge. I also think he made the seasons, literally, as a time of refreshing for man. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you (nope, I'm not channeling Gomer Pyle).

Football is in the air. I'm not a football fan , per se, but it signals the end of a period of the year that, temperature-wise, has become almost unbearable for me. Several years ago my body decided it no longer liked the extreme heat. Anything over about 90 degrees is no longer acceptable to me. I'm out there but I don'y have to like it.

It is also a time of anticipation. There are holidays just around the corner, especially Thanksgiving. For some reason I start thinking about Thanksgiving in late August (kind of makes the Christmas season seem tame). The anticipation of a special meal with family and/or friends, a meal that is more than just coming together to eat, a meal that is literally shared with a whole country. Though we all have our separate traditions, the idea of giving thanks is shared together. Though our nation has gotten away from being God-centered I see it as a time of rememberance and thankfulness to our Creator. While we (meaning me and mine) may not say alot about being thnakful on the day other than through prayer and sharing over the meal, our eharts speak volumes as we prepare the meal, the house and the atmosphere as we get ready to come together.

Thanksgiving and autumn. What a great combination! Or as Yakoff Smirnoff used to say, "What a country!" Thank you, God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen on the anticipation season. I really never know what to expect. I come from a family that just isn't set in holidays. We hardly even bother celebrating or doing anything different. It is always just a day off of work and a time that we sit and listen to everyone else make these big plans. Sometimes we get invited, but mostly not. We never know where we will be or even if we will do anything.

Jackie said...

Autumn and Thanksgiving - man, we could be related. The feel of hard cold ground on bare feet, the sound of geese flying, wind howling, the first fire, the smell of pumpkin pies, the unreal beauty of warm friends on cold evenings without the $$ and bustle of christmas. I so miss the north.

Anonymous said...

oh i LOVE the autumn and the upcoming holidays. there are only few things better than a nice cool breeze directly blowing in my face! it's like God is talking to me or more like His hands are on my face!
great blog andy, great comments jackie!