Tuesday, November 07, 2006

728B

I have many church songs that I hum and sing (to myself) all the time. I have sung so many of our songs so often that I know the words and do not need the songbook. I think this can be said of alot of people. But there are those songs that have become so familiar and speak to us in such a way that they become our favorites. And from among those favorites there is usually one or two that just rise above the rest. There is a God, or as we sometimes call it, 728B, is the one for me.

I like Paul Shero's take on this song. He thinks this song should be the 'national anthem' of the churches of Christ. He thinks it would be so cool, in order to determine whether someone was a member of the church, if we would ask, "728?", and the appropriate response would be, "B!".

I was first introduced to this song in college as a very young Christian. From the first time I heard it, it just spoke to me. The song, itself, is a relatively young song compared to the others that we sing. I know all the words and it sings of the affirmation of our faith, the simple basics of our faith. There is a God, He is alive, our lives are inseparately intertwined with His, we live and breathe and get our very life from Him. Without Him we would die and disappear. The song reminds us of the love that God has for us in that he has always taken care of his people...that He gave His Son. It brings to our rememebrance that God is in control no matter how much we think of ourselves and our accomplishments.

So, we sang that song this past Sunday morning just before the sermon. The congregation sang that song with confidence and assurance. It sounded awesome!! I hope God was pleased.

What are your thoughts...share with me.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

728b. man. And i love the fact that '23' rhymes with it.

But the 'it is well with my soul' is one of the ones that does it for me. The thought that no matter what, all i need do is just chill and remember what has been done and what waits for me (" . . the clouds be rolled back as a scroll . . ") gives me goose bumps and can almost make me cry.

How do people live without Christ? Who would even want to try?