Wednesday, June 13, 2007

What a Waste!

Wednesday is trash day. Each week on Tuesday evening I spend a few minutes going around the house to empty the trash cans in the various pasts of the house. I also check the refreigerator for anything that may be past it's prime. It's amazing what gets lost and then rediscovered in the back of the fridge. There may be food that is just old and needs to go out (like today, a bit of left over cake). I also have to get the recycle bin ready, though this gets addressed pretty much on a daily basis (old newspapers and recyclables from the house). I am always amazed at the amount of stuff that gets thrown out each week. And there are only two of us at home on any regular basis. However, I will say that as a general rule, we rarely have more than one bag and the recycle bin is only about 1/3 to 1/2 full on any given trash day. I don't feel so bad though when I look around the neighborhood and at other trash cans in the city that have tons (no exaggeration) of garbage, so much so that the trash cans are overflowing. I can understand businesses and people w/ large families or those that have kids at home . . . but, holy smokes!!. I really cannot believe the amount of trash that our society produces. And, on a regular basis.

I am not an evironmentalist, per se. I don't 'bleed green'. However, I do believe that we have a responsibility to take care of what we have been given. Anything new that we can recycle or any new product that will lessen the impact we have on the earth is okay with me. Anything we can do to increase mileage and lessen our dependence on other's oil is really okay with me. Any new form of transportation that we can develop that would be a real people mover. . . go for it.

You never know where thoughts will come form. As I was leaving the house this morning, I just looked at all the big blue trash cans down my street, down Goodwin, up 281 and then out 97. Down my street it just looked like a big blue gauntlet and I just thought about all the garbage being thrown out. It didn't help that blue is my favorite color. Why did they have to pick blue for trash cans? But ultimately, if you think about it, everything we have or own has the potential for being garbage.

So what are your thoughts? Or do you have any on the subject? Share with me.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Go Dad! You almost sound like you should be in Austin!