Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Fringe

I was listening to Jack Evans, Sr. (on CD) on the way to work today. He said several interesting things. The particular one that caught my attention was his comments about the people who make up "the fringe" of a congregation.

He was giving his talk on a Sunday morning in Bible class at the beginning of a meeting. He was talking about how appreciative he was for all the people who were in the class. He continued by talking about how you can tell alot about a congregations life by those people who attend Bible class on Sunday mornings and on Wednesday nights. I don't think he was talking about the number of people who attend but about who the individuals are who attend. He referred to these people as the core of the congregation, those people who form the center of the congregation, those people who do the majority of the work of the church, those people who you can depend on when called upon, those people who you know will get things done. The rest of the people he referred to as "the fringe" of the congregation. His comment, as obvious as it is, was that you cannot count on those people.

I always see this group as those who stand outside the "inner circle". They want to be included but they don't really make an effort to join in. They are the "one foot in, one foot out" people. They are close enough that we know who they are but not enough to make themselves really known to the inner circle. They are invited to join, shown how to join, encourgaed to join, shown the benefits of joining, but they just do not take the information and run with it. You could almost substitute the word 'participate' for the word 'join' here.

A loose definition of a fringe is something that is on the edge of a piece of clothing. It is decoration that many times just makes clothing look good but really does not have a vitual function with the garment. Part of the definition from a dictionary is: something on the margin of an activity, process or subject matter.

I do not want to be on the fringe of the Church, nor do I just want to look good. In my experience, there is nothing worse than being on the outside looking in and wanting to be on the inside. It looks so good and inviting but, when you are not included, it can be heartbreaking. Why people choose to be on the fringe is beyond me. I know there has to be a measure of self involvement but when people are invited, encouagred, conjoled, begged, offered, told, reminded and they won't join...what do you do?

Speaking for myself...I made a decision (tentative as it was) a long time ago to let God do His work on me and we'll see where it leads. Through may trials, conflicts, triumphs and experiences, I found out that God does not lie, that He always fulfills His promises, always provides, always blesses ...always...always...always. There are not enough blogs to describe His goodness and mercy and fulfillment.

So...what are your thoughts. Share with me.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

While I understand and agree with most of what you've stated, I have to admit, I do want to look good - nothing physical here of course (that would be ludicrist! ha!). But I do have this real fear that I will not make God look good. My beauty (ie; fruits) that are seen by the outside that makes Pleasanton C of Christ attractive are vital, I believe. How in the world would I answer if I gave God a black eye (which, incidentially, I believe the fringe people do).

Man, I can't explain it. I'll talk to you later, k?

Cryssy said...

Sometimes I wonder about the fringe. My parents would somewhat qualify here. Some people just don't have the personality types that like to socialize. But then, are they running from God? Are they selfish? Are they just loners? Are they embarrassed by their lack of knowledge and lack of understanding? Do we as the "core" come across as "better" than them in their eyes? My own family I know feels some of these things. Is it true, or is the devil working in their lives by whispering evil thoughts? I wish I could understand the fringe so I could help my own family. I fear they are lukewarm...

Dana said...

I agree to a point. Sometimes, being on the fringe is the best that someone can give at the time. The truth is, sometimes, no matter how much people invite you or try to express wanting you there, you can't break in. Entering a new, close group is VERY hard and sometimes staying on the fringe is all they can handle. Been there, done that. You just have to have faith that some people will come through in their own time.