Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Armor of God

*Just some food for thought and introspection.

Ephesians 6:10-17 describes how we are to clothe ourselves with God and His Word to protect ourselves against evil forces. What article of clothing do you see yourself as? Or, while all articles are important, what would be the most important to you?

At this time in my Chritian walk, I see myself as the belt. It does not matter what shirt, pants, socks or shoes I wear...it does not matter if they match or not...I never feel completely dressed unless I am wearing a belt. The Belt of Truth...that which surrounds us...that which holds all the other articles of clothing together neatly (we hope). It is the one article of clothing that surrounds the core of our body. It is God's Word that provides the substance of my heart and soul. It is that one item that provides (for me) security and keeps everything from falling apart.

So...what are your thoughts. Share with me.

4 comments:

Cryssy said...

Since I tend to be a hermit, I guess if I HAD to choose a piece it would be the shield. Mostly because that is where I feel the weakest. My faith just doesn't feel as strong as I wish it were. Just when I think the flaming darts are going to get me, God helps me hold up my shield arm. Maybe that arm just needs to get stronger to hold that shield up at all times because sometimes my hair gets singed.

The Johnsons said...

(What two good blogs, Dad!)

I would agree with the Belt of Truth. For whatever reason, I cannot escape it. Whether it's in the Word, interactions with people, or just telling the honest truth of my opinion... If I lie or hide something, it eats at me until I come clean - with the truth.

On a lighter note. If I were to be a normal piece of clothing, it would be a good pair of jeans. You can work in jeans, relax in jeans, wear them in, dress them up, dress them down... I hope I'm a person who gets along with all kinds of people, and that I do my best in whatever situation I'm in.

Yes, I'd like to be a good pair of jeans. What person doesn't like a good pair of jeans?!

Dana said...

I would have to say that right now, I am all for that shield of faith! Lately, that has really protected me and carried me through. I KNOW it wasn't me that stopped whatever was being thrown. Sometimes, you gotta stand behind the fortress of our God.

Amy said...

I want nothing more than to stand before my God and be found righteous, so I'd have to go for that breast-plate.

Thanks for making me think today, dear one.