Friday, August 06, 2010

In the dark there is solitude

As I sit on the beach in the dark, I stare at the stars and planets as they make their appearance. The blue sky of the day slowly gives way to the dark of the night revealing what has been hidden from our sight. It reveals the true nature of what is there. Only the physics of the atmosphere hide God's rich glory during the daytime. Now as I look and appreciate what is there, I realize what a marvelous gift the heavens are. I feel so small and yet so much a part of something bigger than I am.

It is as though I am the only member of the audience for this performance that is unfolding all around me.

People still out on the beach do not see me sitting there by myself. They go about their business oblivious to me. They walk literally within yards of me without ever seeing me or acknowleging my presence. On the one hand it is kind of cool to be left alone with my thoughts. It is a unique experience to be able to observe this corner of God's creation without being disturbed. I am left to my own devices for a time.

Wanting to share this with my daughters I am able to text them without the distraction of a phone call and having to talk. There is nothing really wrong with talking but I am learning the value of texting. It does provide a certain quietness and the opportunity of sharing without disturbing the event itself. I can still concentrate on and soak in my surroundings.

Finally, it is late and texting is finished. The cell phone is off. No Ipod. No cell phone. No computer. No internet. No society.

Just me and my thoughts. Just me and the moon doing what it has done for thousands of years. Just me enjoying what God has created.

Just me ...

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

I wish I could have joined you on the beaches and taken all of these things in like you did. Thanks for your texts those nights. It made me feel loved and thought of.